Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Get Healthy - Blood Work and doctor

I just went to the doctor this morning to get the results of my blood work. And like expected my cholesterol is high. (everything else is fine. My thyroid might be a tad low, but she said it fluctuated throughout the day so she's not worried).

My total cholesterol was 6.39. Normal range is 3.8-5.2.
Triglyceride was 2.18 (0.6-2.3)
HDL 1.06 (0.9-2.2)
LDL 4.34 (2.0-3.4)
Cholesterol ratio of 6.0 (which falls in 2x the average risk.) plus I think she said that with a family history they double that again?)

Anyway, the point was my cholesterol was high. And that I was at like a 3% risk of having a heart attack in the next 5 years or something (which seems kinda high, but she was saying it as if it was low).  She said if my LDL got above 5 then I'd need medication. So that's kinda nuts. She very much tried to be calm and explain things as if it was no big deal, but I kinda think it is.

So I'm googling how to reduce cholesterol. I know that exercise will help. Increasing fibre will help. Losing weight will help. Those will be my aims.


She also had a look at my Diastasis Recti. We debated just doing physio intensively and seeing if that made me happy, and then see a surgeon. Or to see a surgeon first to see their opinion. We opted for the second because I have tried physio and it got a certain degree better but that's it. I still may go with physio but I'd like to know if it's even feasible to repair it that way. So I'm quite excited to see what happens there.

No comments:

Post a Comment